Welcome to My Royally Wrecked Space to Chill...



I hope you find comradery...I hope you find peace....I hope you find joy...I hope you find acceptance...I hope you feel loved...I hope you know that your are precious...chosen...and always welcome here...come sit a spell...

Sunday, June 19, 2011

James Frey...Oprah...and Truth

I watched the original James Frey interview when Oprah chose his memoir "A Million Little Pieces" for her book club.

I also watched the next interview where Oprah called James out for his "truthiness" within the memoir.

So I was thrilled that Oprah decided to have James back on her last season. The two day interview with James and Oprah was utterly beautiful.

James and Oprah shared beautiful moments of reconciliation. It was such a wonderful portrait of healing and forgiveness.

The background was that James was an addict that had recovered through therapy. He wrote a memoir that was based on his life but did also contain fiction. It was presented to Oprah's book club and then it was later revealed that James' memoir was not fully truthful. Oprah had James back on the show to basically set him straight for her readers sakes. It was awful.

I remember feeling so sorry for James (even though he was wrong). So again, I was glad the third interview happened.

The beauty of this process for me was that Oprah recognized her ego and lack of compassion towards Frey. Frey sat and took the beating in the second interview like a trooper. He did not disappoint in the third interview.

This man...this man embarrassed in front of the world...came back and was utterly open...utterly true to himself...utterly messy....utterly authentic...

And it struck me...he had lost it all...he had nothing left to lose....so truth didn't hurt anymore....thus authenticity...

Oprah was equally authentic in her admission of Ego...how big of this ultra powerful woman to admit that she was being driven by pride and ego...HUGE...

AHA!!!!!

I can sympathize and empathize...James Frey...even though I'm not an addict of substance...I was an addict....

Approval...

Significance...

Things...

Relationships...

And I lost it all...and I found myself...and there is nothing left to lose...

Because in losing myself and all around me....I found authenticity....truth for myself...God...and significance...

I salute James for being true to himself and open with the world....Bravo!

We need more people in this world that will stand up and speak their failures, triumphs, and truths...

Grace n Peace,

A ~

No comments:

Post a Comment